Quote of the day...

"... on that occasion she had felt great satisfaction deep down for the fact that [her son] gave her life a meaning far beyond any satisfaction she could derive from doctoral dissertations or archaeological digs. If there is a meaning in life it must be centred upon a person, she thought, nothing else. It had to be a person." (Henning Mankell: Kennedy's Brain)

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The weekend from hell...

This weekend has not been kind to us. Charlotte had her 2 month immunisation shots on Friday afternoon and she coped with the injections so well we were lulled into a false sense of security, believing all would be well. Turns out, these things can take a while to fester!

B was out all day Saturday helping a friend move house and I should have known something wasn't right when Charlotte didn't go back to sleep after her early morning feed. She progressively got grumpier and grumpier throughout the day, barely sleeping for more than 2-3 minutes at a go, until she was completely over-wraught by dinner time. B came home for a short while before going out fishing most of the night (I've learned my lesson - don't let your husband be gone all day when your daughter is in a mood!! LOL) Anyway, by the time B came home I was beside myself - I'd called my Mum and called my best friend and had no idea how to soothe her. I'd taken her for a walk and rocked her in the pram; I'd put her in the swing; I'd worn her in the sling; I'd fed her; I'd burped her; I'd changed her nappy. I simply could not stop her from screaming. It was the most horrible experience I think I've had as a parent - feeling completely helpless and watching someone so young and defenseless experience so much distress.

When B came home we jumped in the car and took Charlotte for a drive. I hadn't had time to eat anything all day (or even feed the dog!) so we went to McDonalds for a quick fix and then took off for an hour or so driving around near the water, hoping the driving would soothe Charlotte. Thankfully it did! By the time we got home, around 11pm, my eyelids were barely open and Charlotte's were well and truly closed. We transferred her from the car capsule to the cot and she slept soundly for the rest of the night. In fact, she didn't wake up again until 5.30am! All these weeks I've been praying she'd sleep through her 2am feed and when she finally does, it's at the expense of my sanity... be careful what you wish for!

This morning she's still a bit crotchety but definitely more settled than yesterday. I think part of her problem is actually related to bloating and not being able to manage her formula properly. She seems to get very uncomfortable after a feed and doesn't pass wind/bowel movements easily. So this on top of the general aches and pains from the immunisations, we were bound for problems. I've started putting some Coloxyl drops in her bottle now to try and clear up any 'blockages' she might have and get things moving again. She doesn't actually seem constipated, but there is definitely something not quite right with her insides. Here's hoping we finish the weekend on a better note!

(After writing this post we went out to dinner at Sizzler and Charlotte slept through the whole thing! We're planning a late night hot bath and feed around 10.30pm and hopefully she'll be so buggered after the weekend that she'll sleep right through!)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see you on Tuesday. Loads of hugs and kisses to Charlotte in the meantime. Hope the rest of your week is calmer.

    ReplyDelete