Quote of the day...

"... on that occasion she had felt great satisfaction deep down for the fact that [her son] gave her life a meaning far beyond any satisfaction she could derive from doctoral dissertations or archaeological digs. If there is a meaning in life it must be centred upon a person, she thought, nothing else. It had to be a person." (Henning Mankell: Kennedy's Brain)

Monday, March 28, 2011

Baby shower happenings...

The gang - except Mum, who was taking the photo
You know you're close to D-Day when the time comes for you to have your baby shower (if you're electing to go down that road). I hadn't originally wanted a baby shower - I didn't really see the point in them and I wasn't too keen on guilting my friends into buying me yet more gifts after many of the same people had already attended a bridal shower and wedding in the years preceding this event. But K was quite adamant that I have one and by the time I had finished my holiday in Tassie (i.e. staying with her), she had convinced me. So I asked my sister-in-law, T,  if she would be willing to organise the event, and thankfully she said yes. Thus, the weekend before last saw me attend my baby shower!

It was a lovely afternoon. T consulted with me about where to hold the event and I was determined the afternoon was going to be about us girls getting together for some laughs and good food and not about silly games and over-the-top gift-giving. We held the shower at 16th on Park, which has a delicious tapas menu and an equally delicious dessert menu! I decided that as it was my shower, I was allowed to have some tapas AND some dessert, and thankfully I wasn't the only one who made that decision ;-)

T took care of everything and abided by my wishes to not have any silly games. Instead she asked everyone to write advice or helpful sayings about motherhood on decorative paper and she was going to make a book for me with all the words of wisdom included.

I was very touched and just a little bit guilty that everyone wanted to give gifts. As a result we now have a lovely collection of gorgeous baby clothes and toys (and some nursing pyjamas for me from Mum!). T and my brother also put together a great hospital survival kit for me and B that comes complete with Junior Mints, Reeces Pieces and a giant Tootsie Roll. If you don't know what those things are then clearly you're not a member of our family! ;-)

Hippos were clearly a theme (gee, I wonder why?) and I was delighted to receive a number of hippo-related clothes or toys. I do wonder if this baby is going to like hippos as much as I do - another 'nature versus nurture' debate, I'm sure ;-) In any event, she will most certainly be surrounded by them in her early years so she'll either love them or hate them! Thankfully there wasn't much pink in attendance - you all no doubt know how I feel about that colour!! I think the best clothing item of the day was from M who found a purple tutu complete with black leggings underneath. I'm not particulary tutu-ish generally but M was able to see that I would appreciate the paradox of the leggings with the fru-fru look - I actually really love it.
Purple tutus with black leggings - not typically something I thought I would like!

We took some photos on the day - they clearly show that I'm pregnant! I was about 35 and 1/2 weeks pregnant in these shots and feeling every week of it! Jane took a great shot of me side on so that I can have a record of my belly - I don't really have many shots of me fully pregnant so it will make a good retaliatory photo for my daughter one day when she accuses me, out of spite, of adopting her!
A very pregnant me - not particularly flattering, but at least it's proof I was actually pregnant!

So with the shower now done, there is nothing left to do but wait for the impending arrival. I can't wait to dress this little creature in all the lovely clothes I received... including the purple tutu ;-)

Mother and daughter (times 2, when you think about it!)
Overwhelmed with everyone's generosity...
Unwrapping a hippo... of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment