Quote of the day...

"... on that occasion she had felt great satisfaction deep down for the fact that [her son] gave her life a meaning far beyond any satisfaction she could derive from doctoral dissertations or archaeological digs. If there is a meaning in life it must be centred upon a person, she thought, nothing else. It had to be a person." (Henning Mankell: Kennedy's Brain)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Some results...

Well, on Monday we met with the obstetrician to get the results of our nuchal scan. The ratio you are given is a representation of your age, your blood tests and family medical history, and your nuchal fold measurement. In my case, the ratio was 1:379, which places me in the 'low risk' group. Yay!!! Dr P still offered me an amnio though - he said he offers that to everyone whose fold measured over 2mm but ironically the odds for having a miscarriage after amnio are 1:300 which is worse than my odds for Down's Syndrome! We discussed the pros and cons with Dr P., and that given that the nuchal measurement of 2.38mm was the largest taken on the day (therefore the others would have been lower), and given that we really want to just sit back now and enjoy our pregnancy for a while, Brandon and I decided not to go ahead with the amnio. Dr P said this was fine - he didn't think there would be a problem, but he just wanted to know I had the option if I wanted it.

So I'm relieved!! AND I have started telling people. More and more people will now probably start reading this blog (leave me a message peoples!!) I'm 14 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow so I figure it's probably safe to start telling people. I told my Head of School on Monday and a few other people at work and Brandon has also started telling some work colleagues and fishing buddies. It's starting to feel a little more real now!

Mum has bought the first knitting pattern for the sprout!!! 6 more weeks and we'll know what colour yarn to use...

2 comments:

  1. And Mum also bought a layette pattern today - for making newborn-sprout bedclothes. Zoe has made it very clear: no pastel colours! So if anyone has the odd metre of brightly coloured cotton knit or stretch terry knit in the cupboard, pack it up and send it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a 'layette'? Is that what Australians call a romper suit?

    ReplyDelete